Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Permission to Feel Foolish

At the beginning of the year, I set a goal to do new things. Many of my friends said this was not a challenging goal because I constantly try different activities. In a short amount of time I changed my goal to "I will participate in out of character activities." In less than 3 weeks, I've gone on a blind date, made a dentist appointment for the first time in 4 years, and attended Zumba class.

One of the high school students I work with was hosting a "zumbathon" as a fundraiser. Zumba is an exercise program in the form of Latin dance and I decided it was in alignment with my goal for 2012 to attend this activity. I warned the student "I think I'm going to DIE" and "you have no concept of how uncoordinated I am." "Did you know Several years back, I spent time with a dance team and I ended up in the emergency room from warming up with them?" "Many will claim they having two left feet, well I think I have three!" Every line I could think of ran through my brain to get out of this.

Needless to say, my roommate and I pulled into the parking lot, took a deep breath and timidly walked into the building. A man met us there and asked us if we had ever done Zumba before, we both responded with a nervous grin, "never". His response was profound, "If you think you look stupid, you're doing it right." These words said in jest to provoke a laugh or bring comfort actually were deeper than this man will ever know.

I would not consider the time a success by comparison with the other ladies participating. However, with permission to feel foolish, I enjoyed the time and remembered life is not about comparing yourself to someone else.

As I consider stretching my character in 2012, meeting new people, and standing face to face with insecurity, I am going to remember those words. "If you think you look stupid, you're doing it right."

- What do you avoid for fear of failure?

- How can you give yourself permission to feel foolish, and in turn overcome that fear?

0 comments: